Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 25, 2010

Greetings to All:

Today I am at the mid-point of my third four-week chemo regimen. As you all know, the Lord has been using this regimen to send healing. At the same time it always brings along certain discomfort. As the days pile up the side effects increase. By now they are not unexpected and therefore also less of a surprise. Still the discomfort is there again and will likely increase for the next two weeks.

The mouth and tongue are super sensitive and the taste buds do not function (normally). Food is eaten for survival but is less enjoyable. My skin is dry and some nausea and reflux is starting to appear again. Although the latter two items are less intrusive as I have been given some medication to alemiorate these symptoms. There is also a marked reduction in energy. The thing to do, I imagine, is to lay low. To understand what is happening and to actually realize that I am ill and need to rest and be patient.

However, it appears that I have gotten used to the idea of healing and feeling well when I am off the pill and even during the early stages of taking the pill. But I must also continue to realize that the Lord is teaching me patience and that His healing does not come without some physical discomfort. I pray for patience.

At the same time Rita and I also express abundant thanksgiving in our prayers. I suppose that is an important point to stress especially because our neighbours in the USA are celebrating Thanksgiving Day today. We have heard that the American Reformed Church in Lynden, Wash. had a worship service this morning. We are glad to understand that they recognize the true focus or thanksgiving.

Although we Canadians have had our Thanksgiving Day more than a month ago we continue to give thanks every day. At our home we particularly give thanks for the healing we have and are receiving. We also give thanks for the many prayers that have gone to throne of God on our behalf. We further give thanks for the many other means of grace God gives us to strengthen our faith and to worship Him with. We give thanks for the tasks our God still lays before us and the strength He gives us to do them.

We are also thankful for what the Lord is doing with so many others who we also know to be suffering with cancer. We pray for healing for them as well and are thankful for the situations where He has sent that. And in the end we always realize that 'Thy will be done" is not only a fall-back position for when things don't go our way, but it should be our true desire, for His will alone is truly good and right.

My present chemo regimen is schedule to complete on Dec. 9 and on Dec. 14th I a CT Scan has been scheduled for my pelvic area to see what has/is happening to the cancer there. At present I am able to do far more with my left hip area than I have been able to for the previous six months. Nothing else has been scheduled before my next visit to the cancer clinic. That is schedule for Dec. 22. I suspect that I will be put on a fourth four-week regimen starting Dec.27. If all of this is true than we look forward to a wonderful end of the calendar year and all the attendant celebrations with good energy and much health.

Rita and I wish all of you a joyous Christmas and a blessed year of our Lord 2011.

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow

Pieter de Boer

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. We will continue to pray for you. We are thankful for all the blessings that God has given in the treatments you have received. John and Francine. Boys and Girl!

    ReplyDelete